Chamba is a Himalayan town located in Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh. Known for the ancient temples. Chamba is popular for its traditional handicrafts and art along with the miniature Pahari paintings Chamba celebrates two renowned festivals – Suhi Mata Mela, held during March/April for four days and Minjar Mela, celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of the Shravana month, or August.
According to the 2001 Indian census, the town is situated on the banks of the Ravi River (a major tributary of the Trans-Himalayan Indus River), at its confluence with the Sal River. Chambial were the Rulers of Chamba State Chambials use suffix Varmans.
Though historical records date the history of the Chamba region to the Kolian tribes in the 2nd century BC, the area was formally ruled by the Maru dynasty, starting with the Raju Maru from around 500 AD, ruling from the ancient capital of Bharmour, which is located 65 kilometres (40 mi) from the town of Chamba. In 920, Raja Sahil Varman (or Raja Sahil Verma) shifted the capital of the kingdom to Chamba, following the specific request of his daughter Champavati (Chamba was named after her). From the time of Raju Maru, 67 Rajas of this dynasty ruled over Chamba until it finally merged with the Indian Union in April 1948, although Chamba was under British suzerainty from 1846 to this time.